Friday, February 27, 2009

The Albatross

Until yesterday, I knew only of the albatross from the "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". This Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem tells of a man who shot an albatross(a bird of good omen) for sport and was forced to wear it around his neck as punishment. Believe me when I say this; that story is still relevant today. The many species of this great seabird are on the endangered species list. They are a victim of yet another of man's frailties. Stupidity by reason of ignorance.These animals are fairly long lived some live as long as 50 years, the male/ female pairs are faithfull to one another and they only produce one egg. They are dying needlessly and mankind is responsible. Alas, one reason strikes me personally and that is the fact that the "Goony Bird" as they are sometimes called, is threatened from consuming plastic. I work in plastics for many years so in a sense I could be the man wearing the Albatross around my neck. I feel my part has some relevance for it is the albatross that has payed the price. Once again for being curious, and once again man is to blame. Now I see the Albatross as a beautiful, gracefull, and innocent creature. As for me I carry yet another regret and burden of wishing I had a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment